What is an Attorney Called in the UK?

What is an Attorney Called in the UK?

In the UK, a lawyer is generally either a solicitor or a barrister. Solicitors are the ones that you will see if you need to create a will, get a divorce or set up a company.

Barristers are usually based in offices called chambers, which may be shared with other barristers. They are regulated by the Bar Council and the Law Society. Some are self-employed and others work for companies or firms of solicitors advising clients directly.


A solicitor is a licensed attorney who is responsible for defending clients’ legal interests and represents them in Court. They advise clients on a wide range of legal matters, such as selling a house or settling a personal injury claim.

Solicitors usually manage cases from the initial stages, working closely with clients to bring them to an end and find solutions that suit their needs for a wrongful death attorney. They liaise regularly with other professionals, including the police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), to ensure that all aspects of their cases are covered.

To become a solicitor in the UK, you typically need to have a law degree or another suitable subject. You must pass the Solicitors Regulation Authority’s new SQE exams and undergo a character and suitability assessment before becoming a member of the SRA.


In the UK, a barrister is an attorney who gives legal advice and represents their clients in court. They wear wigs and gowns and are able to appear in all courts in the country, including the High Court, Court of Appeal, and Supreme Court.

To become a barrister, you need to complete a rigorous process of academic, vocational and work-based training. This includes completing a law degree (LLB) and a law conversion course if you are from a different jurisdiction.

During this training, you will also take part in a year of pupillage with an experienced barrister. Chambers accept applications for pupillage through a system called the Pupillage Gateway, although some may receive them directly from candidates.

Once you have completed your pupillage, you can then begin practicing as a barrister. You can apply to practice in a number of areas, depending on your specific area of expertise.


In the UK, an attorney is called an advocate. The name comes from the Latin term avocat (meaning ‘advocate’).

Advocacy is an important part of the legal profession. It helps ensure that people have their voices heard and that their interests are protected.

Solicitor advocates work with clients in a variety of areas of law, including family and matrimonial law, trusts and estates, property transactions, criminal litigation, civil claims and regulatory matters. They also work with other solicitors in advising clients who require advocacy in court.

Solicitor advocates usually qualify by taking a Higher Rights of Audience training course and completing assessments to achieve the SRA’s Higher Rights Advocacy Qualification (HRAQ). This enables them to carry out advocacy in court or at a tribunal on behalf of their clients, in the same way that a barrister would.

Chartered Legal Executive

A Chartered Legal Executive (CILEX) is a qualified lawyer who specialises in one or two areas of law. This is different to a solicitor, who has broader, more general legal training.

The training to become a CILEX consists of a series of vocational qualifications, including a Level 6 Professional Higher Diploma in Law and Practice. Trainees also need to gain three years’ qualifying employment.

Chartered Legal Executives are generally responsible for providing clients with legal advice and represent them in court where appropriate. Like Solicitors, Chartered Legal Executives need to adhere to a code of conduct and are required to continue their professional development.

They can commission oaths, take depositions and affidavits. Chartered Legal Executives can appear in the County, Crown and High Court on civil, criminal or family matters, depending on their qualification.

Posted in Law